Recently I’ve received reports from many users saying that FMD has become very unstable after upgrading to version v0.8.1b (and maybe with the latest version as well). The bug, which can be described as the software does not respond and there’re chance that a lot of dialogs pop up, appears quiet randomly, makes it hard to trace down and fix. So any help from you would be greatly appreciate!
For people who experienced this bug regularly, please upgrade your FMD to the latest version (v0.8.2.1b). If the bug still happens, please give me some information about:
- The number of connections, the title of the manga you were downloading, as well as it’s source when the bug happened.
- Your operation system.
- Your FMD revision in case you were using a snapshot build.
- A screenshot when the bug happened would be nice, especially when you were using snapshot build with debug symbols file.
- The steps to reproduce the bug if you know.
You may consider using the latest snapshot, which is basically the latest build of FMD using the latest available sources and with the latest fixes and new bugs. Snapshots always contain debug symbols file (fmd.dbg). This file can be removed manually whenever you don’t want it anymore. There’re two type of snapshots:
- Snapshots for people who want to test the snapshot with their existing resources. Just download the package, extract it and overwrite your existing FMD files. Your FMD then can still upgrade to official releases via updater.
- Snapshots for people who don’t want to mess with their existing FMD.
You can find those snapshots here:
After some discussion we came to the conclusion that users from Indonesia who want to donate can follow instructions from this thread as an alternative way to donate to the project.
Recently I’ve received an email from an user questioning me about somebody (definitely not me – Akarin-K) is asking for donations on some forums without letting me know, so I think this is a good chance for me to make things clear:
- The Free Manga Downloader project is run by volunteers. We do not ask money for using Free Manga Downloader, and contribute financially is only an optional option. There are many ways to contribute to the project, such as translating the software interface, bug hunting, or become a contributor/developer.
- The project will survive, even without any form of donations: As we use sourceforge for hosting all of our stuff (releases, updates, manga lists, bug tracker) and this blog for announcing new releases, no expense has been spent on the file hosting/web space.
- If you really want to donate, please click on the Donate menu and follow the link. This way we can make sure your money will go to the right people.
You may ask me: How could you live without any donation ?
The answer is simple: As I mentioned above, we are a group of volunteers so we only consider Free Manga Downloader as a spare-time project for an alternative way to read manga without having to visit online manga readers, and most of us are salaryman so we can make money without having to depend on this project.
I recently involed in a quite large project (port ~80,000 lines of code from Objective-C to C++) that comsumed most of my time, result in FMD was not making any progress in the last week. So FMD will not have any new feature until I finish the project, but still I will fix bugs whenever I have free time.